Stop Food Waste Day is an annual event first introduced in 2017 with the mission to halve food waste by 2030. The annual event takes place this year on the 29th April. By cutting the amount of food we waste each year, we all benefit. From helping to tackle climate change, through to reducing hunger and poverty in some of the world’s poorest regions.
So how big is the Food waste problem?
Its massive, did you know for example that 33% of all food produced globally is lost or wasted every year? And in the UK, we bin 7.1 million tonnes of food each year?
Want to find out more? Check out this Host blog from 2019.
A great way to reduce food waste is by being smart with what you purchase and think about batch cooking, it’ll save you time, money and there’ll always be something in the freezer to whip out and reheat after a busy day in uni.
So how does a good old simple bowl of mac ‘n’ Cheese sound?
We searched the internet and found this Mac ‘n’ Cheese recipe that’ll only take 25 minutes to make and you should get the basis 6 meals out of it.
- Semi-skimmed Milk – 700ml
- Macaroni – 300g
- Soft Cheese – 100g
- Mature Cheddar – 200g – grated
- Emmental 100 – grated
- Parmesan (or veggie alternative) 50g – grated
- Put the milk in a pan, season (the usual salt/pepper) and bring to a simmer.
- Add the Macaroni and cook for 8-10 minutes or until the pasta is ALMOST cooked.
- Stir in the soft cheese.
- Then add the grated cheeses and stir until it’s all melty good.
- If its too thick, add a splash more milk.
- Taste and season with pepper.
- Divide into six and serve.
How do I store it?
- Properly stored, in a shallow airtight container cooked macaroni and cheese will last for 3 to 5 days in the fridge.
- In the freezer it’ll last 1-2 months.
Want a quick and easy topping? – How about a homemade Salsa?
- Pickled Jalapeños – 3 tbsp – chopped
- Red onion – ½ – finely diced
- Coriander – 2 tbsp – chopped
- Cherry Tomatoes – 100g – finely diced
- A splash of Olive Oil
- To make it extra special add a splash of red wine vinegar
- Stick it all in a bowl.
- Season well.
- And it’s done.